DeKalb Bar Association Committees
We encourage our members to volunteer and get involved with the activities and benefit programs offered to our membership. If you are interested in participating in one of the following committees, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CLE - the CLE committe is responsible to create/plan and execute CLE classes to our members. This will include working with the State Bar of Georgia on approval of the necessary credits being offered. They will work with the executive director on the organization, marketing and tracking of these events.
- Bench & Bar - the Bench & Bar committee is responsible to work with the executive director in the planning and organization of the event. This should start at the summer retreat with the decision of the date, location and ideas for a guest speaker and Pioneer award winner. The remainder of the planning begins in January which includes, but not limited to, sponsors, menu, invitations, RSVPs and program layout. Please see the executive director for a complete list of details.
- Holiday Party - the Holiday party committee is responsible to work with the executive director in the planning and organizing of the event. This should start at the summer retreat with the decision of the date, location, and ideas for a charity. The remainder of the planning begins in October which includes, but not limited to, sponsors, party décor, menu, invitations and RSVP's. Please see the executive director for a complete list of details.
- Law Day - the Law day committee is responsible to coordinate any and all outreach activities associated with this event. Planning begins in February with DeKalb County and City of Decatur schools. Coordinating DBA members to speak at the participating schools; seek sponsors; poster and essay contests; Law day proclamation; CEO to attend May luncheon; Officer of the Year and Liberty Bell awards; prepare an article for the DBA newsletter with details on all events; press release/media coverage; ordering of awards and certificates for all winners; acknowledge all participants and volunteers in June newsletter. Please see the executive director for a complete list of details.
- Community Outreach (Boys & Girls Club, Career Day, Elder Abuse Lecture, teenage outreach)
- Speaker Series / Panel Discussions
- Newsletter - The newsletter committee's goal is to have the newsletter complete and ready for the executive director to email to members on the first day of the month. This means assembling all of the copy and photos and getting them to layout a week to ten days before the first of the month so they have time to get it laid out and to have time to review proofs and make last minute changes. Typically the newsletter contains the following core items: preview of luncheon speaker (or of holiday party theme/host/charity), President's column, photos and cut lines from the preceding luncheon, announcements, if any, from the executive director, luncheon menu, and ads. Please see the executive director for a complete list of details.
- Interbar relations / Media / Professional Outreach to Judges and Elected Officials
- Membership - the membership committee is responsible for promoting and increasing membership throughout the year. The committee is responsible for soliciting new members as well as contacting those members whose membership recently lapsed. This should be done on a monthly basis. The executive director will provide the committee with a list of names of such members and it is the responsibility of the committee to contact those members and encourage them to renew. In recruiting new members, the committee should focus on areas on North and South DeKalb.
- Social - the social committee will be responsible for throwing at least 3 socials per year. There should be one social in downtown Decatur, one in North DeKalb and one in South DeKalb. It is the responsibility of the committee to recruit sponsorship, arrange for the location and food, and encourage members to attend.
- Member Benefits - the member benefits committee will be responsible for arranging for at least one outing per quarter (charity walk, fernbank, sports or art outing, movie tavern, book club, etc)